MA&& Law Firm - Established in 2000
MAS Law Firm - Immigration Attorneys
Call Toll Free 24/7 - 1.866.789.1664
Dallas Family Law Attorneys

Tell us about your Family Law case

FAQs about Adoption

Dallas Family Law Attorneys for Adoption

What is adoption?

An adoptive family willing wants to provide a permanent home for children. They are making a lifelong commitment to a child that they will provide for his or her short and long term needs through adulthood. These families want to provide for the emotional, mental, physical, social, educational, and cultural needs according to the child's developmental age and growth.


What is required to become an adoptive parent?

If you are serious about adoption, you need to first start out by finding a licensed child-placing agency in State of Texas, so that a thorough study of your home can be done. This study includes training, a review of your references, and a criminal background check. If you go through a public state agency, the cost should be minimal but it could vary with private adoption agencies. In either case, there are federal income tax credits available to families who adopt children. The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) will only perform a home study for those families who are willing to adopt a child waiting for adoption. Usually, the DFPS has children with special needs. These children may be:

  • School-age
  • Members of sibling groups
  • Diagnosed with disabilities or conditions that affect their physical, emotional, or medical well-being
  • African-American, Hispanic, or other Ethnic Backgrounds


Why doesn't DFPS place infants for adoption?

Most of the children placed in adoptive care through DFPS are ages 7-17. They do not frequently place infants for adoption because children come into temporary care of the agency because of abuse and neglect.


Can we look up information on the different adoption agencies in Texas?

You can locate the information about different adoption agencies located in State of Texas, by following this link: You can also find here the information about every child-care facility's regulatory history of inspections and reports.


Can Texas children be placed out of state?

Yes they can be, but out-of-state homes must receive approval for adoption by agencies licensed or certified to approve adoptive home studies in the state where the home is located. The requirements in the Minimum Standards for Child-Placing Agencies must be met by your state's home study as well as your home. Texas is involved with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (). This is a contract among states to work with each other when it comes to placement of children.


Can Texas children be placed out of the country?

Usually, children from Texas cannot be placed outside the United States.


What is the cost of adoption, and are there any tax implications or assistance for adoption?

Adoption costs are nominal through public state agencies. Adoption assistance is available in different forms including tax credits.


Are there any age restrictions for adopting parents?

There is no age limit to be an adoptive parent. Older parents can be good adoptive parents for older children. There is a minimum age requirement of 21 years.


I am divorced, can I foster or adopt?

You are eligible to adopt if you are single, divorced, married, or widowed.


Are you planning to adopt? Click here to learn about Adoption Laws in Texas


I am approved to become an adoptive parent in my state. What is the next step?

You will want to review the Texas Foster Care and Adoption Information once you are approved to adopt by your state or adoption agency. If you are interested in a child you found online, use the inquiry form found at the bottom of each child's profile page to submit your interest. You may also email the Texas Adoption Resource Exchange with the name and identification number of the child you are interested in. Please include your name, address, and telephone number. Also, include the name of the agency you have selected and your caseworker's name and phone number. You may also choose to 1-800-233-3405.


I am not yet approved to adopt. How do I start?

If you live in another state, you may start the process by calling a licensed child-placing adoption agency in your state. Your state will have a web site for information regarding adoption. If you live in Texas, you may submit your interest to become an approved adoptive family or a licensed foster family by completing an interest form or leave a message at the Foster Care and Adoption inquiry line at 1-800-233-3405.



Our uncontested divorce lawyers have a combined experience of more than 20 years of handling family law disputes. With a track record of constant success in representing clients in different counties of Dallas Fort-Worth area, our Dallas attorneys for family law have the knowledge and experience of representing clients for their divorce cases in Texas. Our experienced attorneys and passionate legal staff are here to help our clients from the beginning till the end of their uncontested divorce cases. Our services start with a FREE CONSULTATION with our clients to learn about their divorce case and decide if it will be an uncontested divorce or contested divorce. Once our clients attain our services for their divorce matter, we begin the process of preparing the required documents for their divorce according to the guidelines of State of Texas and their County of residence. After the submission of the original petition of divorce and 60 days mandatory waiting time, one of our lawyers will go to court with you to finalize your uncontested divorce process.


Our attorneys and family law legal staff are here to answer all your questions and guide you towards the right path. You can call us at 972.789.1664, email us at, or fill out the form on top of this page to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION. We look forward to providing you quality family law services for your uncontested divorce case.





Home   »   FAQs   »   FAQs about Adoption